Tuesday, 5 January 2016

52 Questions in 52 Weeks: #2

As part of the Genealogy Do-Over, I undertook a self-interview to record some of the information that my descendants might find interesting.

One of the suggestions put by Steve Anderson on the FamilySearch blog is to answer 52 Questions in 52 Weeks.  That way, telling your own story doesn't seem so overwhelming!

This is my answer to question #2.

When and where were you born? Describe your home, your neighbourhood, and the town you grew up in.
My family moved around a lot when I was very young.  When I was born, my parents were living in a small cottage on the banks of the St.Helen's Creek at Kolijo.  The cottage is no longer standing.  Soon afterwards, we moved to Cathu where Dad was working in the State Forest.  That house is still there and I have a photo of it somewhere.  I believe we were living there when Mike (my brother) and Grace (my sister) were born.  I don't remember anything about either of those homes. 
From there, we moved to a small 2-room home in Bloomsbury, again following Dad's work.  That also still stands.  It is a little weatherboard box, and stands about 1metre off the ground.  The laundry and bathroom were downstairs under a lean-to on a small square of concrete.  Up 3 or 4 steps into the kitchen.  There was another room where Mum and Dad slept.  There was a curtain down the middle and Grace and I slept on the other side, while Mike slept outside on the small verandah which ran across the front of the house.  I have some fun memories of living there:  we experienced my first-ever hailstorm; we played under the house in the dirt with small matchbox cars where we made extensive roads and obstacle courses for our cars; we climbed hibiscus bushes and lemon trees to the roof of the shed, then tried to jump off!; I broke my left arm while dangling Grace out of a window when Mike allowed the window to fall down across my arms; when I started school, I walked long dusty roads until being collected by our family friends, the Skaife's who had children older than me, who escorted me to and from school; our cat was killed when my Mum drove over her hiding in the long grass that Dad hadn't mowed; we had a pet calf called Bumper.  If I think of more, I'll add them. 
After that house, we moved to Carmila, south of Sarina, again for Dad's work.  I went to school there for 2 terms, I think.  My only memory there is of being accidentally locked in the school library after school one day.  I pried open the window, jumped out onto the water tank, slid down the drainpipe, and ran home.  Mum reckons she didn't even know I was missing!
After that, it was back to Bloomsbury, where we lived in the house now owned by Paul and Bernadette Camm at Mikulu.  Again, lots of memories.  I got my first pushbike there, and rode it down to the rail siding to collect the bread and milk which was left there every day or so.  It seemed like a very long way when I was 7 :-)  There was an old house there which we used to explore, though we weren't supposed to.  It was full of old dark heavy furniture which I loved and wished could be ours.  There was an old horse, named Dolly, who would come to the house every day for nibbles.  We learnt to ride on her.
After that, we moved to Calen.  I'm not sure where Dad was working then, but we lived in a house that was owned by the Council, across the railway line from the school.  At the time, there were no houses beyond and it was fairly isolated.  That's where Mike was so badly burnt :-(  Mum started teaching again too, so I think Grace must have started school at Calen.  We would walk across the railway line, across the highway, and across the school oval to get to the buildings.  No shoes of course :-)    I was in Grade 3, I think, when we moved there.  Sometime not long after that, we moved to Cameron's Pocket - my favourite childhood home.  It was up in the hills about 10km west of Calen on a cattle property.  We had acres to roam in, a wonderful creek to swim in, there were mango trees everywhere, and the people across the creek had a dairy farm where we would go and help with the milking.  We often were given a bucket of fresh milk to bring back home.  It was a wonderful place to grow up and I remember it very fondly.
Our final move happened sometime in 1974 when Mum and Dad finally could afford to buy a home.  I have photos of that house too.  I was only there for 4 years because I finished school in 1978 and left home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment