Resources

Thursday, 4 February 2016

Webinar Wednesday: The Paper-less Genealogist

Having just watched this webinar by Denise May Levenick, I think it's time to curtail the ever-increasing piles of paper that my poor overloaded printer keeps spitting out!

Ms Levenick gives a number of strategies for reducing paper in the genealogist's life, and recommends beginning with something small and doable, and building from there.

So while I certainly have loads of photos, documents and heritage items to scan, I'm going to begin by reducing what I actually print.

Unfortunately, having not grown up with digital technology, if I really need to take in what I'm reading, I need to do that from the printed page rather than the screen. For some reason, words on a screen tend to overwhelm me. Also, I can't quickly and easily highlight sections, or scribble my own notes in margins, etc. (I know it can be done, but I'm not fast at it, and trying to figure out how to do it, distracts me further from what I'm reading ...)

My plan, therefore, has a number of components:

  • I will improve my use of "screen-clippings" and screen-shots so that I can save ideas and tips and suggestions to OneNote, rather than printing them out as reminders.
  • I will improve my use of computer-based "to-do lists" - again, this is instead of printing out reminders to myself.
  • I will continue to print working documents on paper that has already been used on one side, and is destined for the recycling bin. (I get this paper from work.)

I also intend to participate in ScanFests and get my original photos and documents scanned and uploaded.  The next step will be storing them properly, but that's another step in the process :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment