Resources

Saturday, 2 January 2016

Genealogy Goals for 2016

Part of my goal-setting for genealogy for the coming year is tied to my overall goal of reclaiming my self. It's time for me to unlock the parts of myself that have been hidden away for fear that others in my life will ridicule or jeer at me.

2016 is the year that I reclaim who I am - the things I like to do, the activities and interests that I enjoy, and the silly quirky off-beat parts of my personality. For years I've hidden those, doing what others approve of, or what others tell me is the "right" thing. No more. It's time to be me :-)

In that context, pursuing my genealogy goals is one of those areas I'm reclaiming. My family thinks I'm very strange for having this interest; my daughter just shakes her head and is embarrassed whenever I try to talk about family history with anyone outside our family. Too bad, muffin - I'm out and I'm proud (LOL)

Finally, I'm getting to the point of this post - my genealogy goals for 2016. Here they are.

Overall Goals for 2016:

  • to fill in the gaps in relation to the life of my grandfather, Alexander William de FRIEZ
  • to solve the mystery of my great-uncle, Charles Frank de FRIEZ
  • to properly cite the sources I have collected and entered into RootsMagic
  • to complete the FINALLY Get Organized! challenge with DearMYRTLE
  • to photograph and transcribe graves at Mount Bassett Cemetery
To turn these into SMART goals, as per Amy Johnson Crow, they need a bit of fine-tuning.  This is what I've come up with:

Goal #1 I'm going to resolve 5 of the 13 research questions I have about my grandfather, Alexander William de FRIEZ. I'm going to do this by spending at least 1 hour per week on the research.  These 5 questions will be resolved by 31 December 2016.

Goal #2 I'm going to resolve 3 of the 10 research questions I have about my great-uncle, Charles Frank de FRIEZ.  I'm going to do this by spending at least 1 hour per week on the research.  These 3 questions will be resolved by 31 December 2016.

Goal #3 I'm going to review and correct the source citations that I have in RootsMagic so that they are in Evidence Explained format.  I'm going to do this by tackling the records of 1 ancestor per week (per the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge) throughout 2016.  

Goal #4 I'm going to participate in, and complete, the organising processes recommended through the FINALLY Get Organized! weekly checklists provided by DearMYRTLE.  I commit to making the necessary time to complete each week's activities throughout 2016.

Goal #5 I'm going to photograph, upload, and transcribe all the headstones in the Presbyterian and Methodist Sections of Mount Bassett Cemetery for find-a-grave.com  I'm going to visit the cemetery once each month, take approx 100 photos, and upload and transcribe them before my next visit.  This work will be completed by 31 December 2016. 

The main way I'll report on my activities will be via this blog, so that I can both keep myself accountable and also note my findings and outcomes.

I also have a million other smaller goals - but they are the subject of another post; this one has already become too long :-)

I so love planning!  




No comments:

Post a Comment