Resources

Thursday, 31 December 2015

Glad farewell to a difficult 2015

I'm very glad that 2015 is almost done. It wasn't the best of years for me.

I left a comfortable and well-paid job in February because it had really become more of a burden than it should have been. Local government - in Mackay anyway - is not all that interested in community development, it seems. At least not in the way that I believe community development needs to happen.

I took a part-time position in an exciting and interesting project that aimed to support the ongoing viability of small community-based NGO's in the region. However that turned difficult too with a case of "too many fingers in the pie" and I found my work and my ideas being often pushed aside in favour of others. Usually that wouldn't bother me too much, but for some reason this year it was particularly upsetting. So much so, that I ended up avoiding work as much as possible! Which also meant that my income was impacted - but I couldn't seem to change what I was feeling or doing. In the end, I haven't been working since mid-November :-(

Anyway, it's also been Jemma's last year of school and there have been lots of tears and struggles over assessments and achievement levels, and the pressure of having to decide her next steps. She's also learning to drive, which has meant lots of hours in the car that I didn't really want to give. Plus the constant trips taking her to and from her job at Woolie's ...

All in all, I'm glad it's over.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to face a new year though either. I don't think I've recovered my emotional equilibrium yet; at least not enough to really take on the challenges that are still current. Despite everything, I need to go back to the project work and deal with the same issues of "too many fingers"; Jemma doesn't have her licence yet so there are still daily drives to and from her work; and I still don't have much income.

Still, I take hope from some of the old adages: it's always darkest before the dawn; the only constant in life is change; you never know what's around the next corner.

Here's to a new year of hope, happiness, health - and courageous reclaiming of my life :-)

Happy 2016 to all!!!



1 comment:

  1. I hope 2016 is proving to be a better year for you. Having had a few troublesome jobs myself I can empathise. Those teenage years are demanding with study, part time work, driving, boundaries etc etc...only a few more years :)

    ReplyDelete