Resources

Sunday, 27 December 2015

Cemetery Sunday: Korumburra Cemetery

My grandfather, Eric Ormond WEYMOUTH, was born and spent much of his childhood in the small township of Coal Creek, close to Korumburra in Victoria.

His parents, Walter Josiah ("Josiah") WEYMOUTH and Margaret Jane (nee SEYMOUR), moved to the township shortly after their marriage in 1895.  Their first two children, Josiah and Jane, are buried in Korumburra Cemetery.

To date, online searches have failed to locate any burial records for Josiah or Jane.

Korumburra Cemetery is located on Kardella Road, just to the east of the township.  According to www.australiancemeteries.com the site is managed by the Korumburra Cemetery Trust and the contact details for the Trust are listed there.

I've already sent an email request to the contact person for a look-up of information that might not yet be available online.  So that is a case of "wait-and-see"!

And, depending on the outcome, I may need to write to the Korumburra Cemetery Trust asking for advice about my next steps.

I'm quite sad to think of those tiny babies alone and forgotten.  I would love to find their graves and perhaps do some restoration when I visit in March.




No comments:

Post a Comment